Wednesday, July 05, 2006

 

Whoa, I've Got a Lot of Strauss!

So I started cataloging my books in Library Thing when I realized that I have a lot of books by Leo Strauss.

This isn't too surprising, I suppose. I used to be way into Strauss before I decided other modern authors were not only more forthcoming with their philosophical positions, but that they delivered the 'philosophical goods' without all the pay-no-attention-to-the-man-behind-the-curtain conspiracy ideas that riddle Straussian hermeneutics.

It's not that Strauss isn't insightful - he is, and he does some simply amazing philosophical exegesis when it comes to PlatoMachiavellili, Spinoza and Hobbes. Even so, he always leaves me feeling like he's just about to divulge some great secret that would tie his ingenious textual exegesis together.... and then he doesn't do it.  This is a shame because he philosophizes at a very important time during the 20th century as one who both dialogues with Heidegger and understands the ineliminable situatedness that burdens modern, objective social science.  He might have been in a position to offer a hermeneutic solution to how a 'science of man' is even possible. Alas. 

Of course, If I were still a committed Straussian I suppose I'd think I need to get better at reading between the lines, or reading slower and more carefully, and that maybe Strauss really does have more to say.  But frankly, that's bunk - I read pretty well and I'm able to read quite difficult material.  I guess if he does have more to say he won't saying it to me in the short term future.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?